On 1 June 2021, the National Committee against VAWG and Social Anomy arranged an online discussion on the constitution, freedom of the press, and persecution of journalist Rozina Islam. The chairperson of the National Committee Barrister M Amir-ul Islam moderated the meeting. A written statement was presented by Advocate Masuda Rehana Begum, member of the National Committee and Asst. General Secretary of Bangladesh Mahila Parishad ( BMP). Dr.Fauzia Moslem, the Convenor of the National Committee against VAWG and Social Anomy & the President of BMP, political scientist Prof. Dr.Rounaq Jahan, Justice Nizamul Haque Nasim, Advocate Sultana Kamal, Kazi Reazul Hoque, Ajoy Dasgupta, Prof. Dr. Rashid E Mahbub, Farida Yasmin, Bashudeb Dhar, Prof. Dr. Shahnaz Huda, Taslima Yasmin, Sanjib Drong also the members of the National Committee spoke in the meeting. National Committee member Dr. Hameeda Hossain, Ad SMA Sabur, Mahbub Zaman, Prof. Dr. Latifa Shamsuddin, Prof.Dr.Nazmun Nahar, Dr. Shahida Choudhury, Dr. Sanzida Akhter, Dr. Nazneen Ahmed, Shabnam Azim, National Committee member and Vice -President of BMP Rekha Choudhury, General Secretary Maleka Banu, Joint General Secretary Shima Moslem, Finance Secretary Dil Afroz Begum, Legal Aid Secretary Shahana Kabir; Training, Research, and Library Secretary Rina Ahmed, International Secretary Rekha Saha among others joined the meeting. A total of 52 persons including journalists from print and electronic media attended the program. Maksuda Akhter, Director, Legal Advocacy and Lobby facilitated the meeting.
1.The state must ensure an environment for the media and journalists to perform their duties independently and honestly.
- Initiatives will be taken to repeal various sections of the law which are considered to be against the existing civil rights, to remove hindrances against freedom of media and protection of journalists through laws.
- The social justice enshrined in the constitution must be ensured.
- Journalists must be protected by law.
- All should play an active role in safeguarding freedom of the press.
- All should come forward to build up a society having good governance and justice.
- Law shall be enacted for the protection of journalists.
- A legal defense team should be formed.